...sugar and spice and everything nice...

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Birds

Some Robins have built a little nest right outside my kitchen window on top of the drain pipe. I cant make out little "chirps" yet, but they are definitely protecting the nest. It is so interesting to watch! I dont know if it is the same squirrel every time, or different squirrels, but each morning a squirrel makes his way up the tree in front of the window (the tree who's branches just happen to cross right over the top of the drain pipe) and contemplates jumping across. About that time a Robin jumps down to a branch of the tree as if to say, "One more step and it'll be your last." So of course the squirrel takes one more step, and then Momma Robin swoops out of the nest and both birds chase the squirrel across the yard nipping at it's tail the entire way.

The other day I heard some commotion outside our front window and a family was excitedly carrying on about something. I went outside to see if I could help, and it happened to be that a family of Geese were in my front yard! Two adults and three baby Geese, and they were not happy about this Human family following them around. They had been backed into our yard, and were trying to get across to the next yard, but the fence had stopped them. I had to call off the kids (who, as much as they were enjoying themselves, would have scared me into a corner too) and we allowed them to proceed around the fence and on their way. It was really an amazing experience though, to be so close to them!

Spring has arrived!

5 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

well, spring is here, that's for sure! I'm curious- whatever happened to them...? where did they go? I'm so glad you were there to diffuse that situation. we once saw a whole family of geese trying to cross ponce (downtown, at the corner where moe's is!) and the cars were making very little effort to stop for them...! my father-in-law had to go out into the busy road and direct traffic so that they could cross safely. couldn't figure out where they came from or where they would be going... it was a wild little scene.

3:29 PM

 
Blogger mommy zabs said...

Your blog took me to another place.
I was picturing something between The Secret Garden and Zippity Doo Dah. :)

10:13 PM

 
Blogger GJ said...

I found your blog through my friend (and yours) Elizabeth - and I love your writing! Consider me a new fan....

10:37 AM

 
Blogger lulu said...

They eventually made it out of my yard and continued down the road (and I continued to call off the kids, trying to give the geese some room!)

and glamorous jo: yay! another reader! Thanks for the sweet compliment. I enjoy writing so it is fun to hear people enjoy reading it.

10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how God's creation is so unique? I have to share my story.... Several years ago, on a beautiful spring morning I was walking to school around 7:00 a.m. cutting through neighborhoods to save a few steps (wasn't I doing this in the first place to get in shape and lose a few pounds?) and out of the clear blue in the middle of the street walking down the lane was a beautiful 10 point deer! I was so caught off guard! I just stood there and watched, amazed and wanting to take a picture and yell, 'hey, look, everyone.' In just a twinling of an eye, I saw 5 more deer, younger ones walking through on the same street. Yes, this was a busy full fledged neighborhood still sleeping in though. No one saw them except me as they cut through backyards. As I walked to school, I was thinking: God's creatures! Amazing! So elegant, so graceful!

7:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home