...sugar and spice and everything nice...

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Self Portrait Tuesday 11.8

DISHWASHER




Here is another photo that defines me, a huge part of me, in our household. Dishwasher.

For the past 8 1/2 years I have lived without the modern technology of a dishwasher and it has become my role in our family. From the time we were married and moved into our first apartment outside Cincinnati, to our move to Indianapolis, and finally our move to Georgia, I have been the dishwasher.

I have to tell you, I hate it. I hate it with a passion. They never go away, there is always something to wash. I dont feel like they get as clean as they would with an actual dishwasher. And Im just getting tired of it. But...it is a task that Luxie has begun to join me on, which takes some of the monotony out of it and can make it a little more fun.

On the bright side, for centuries women have had to walk down to the stream, the local watering hole, or just plain stand there at the sink like I do several times a day, so I guess I am just partaking in a part of history. I could be hand washing our actual clothes, like many women have had to do in the past, so I really shouldnt complain much. And, I suppose there are worse things that could define me, right?

I have accepted this role, this piece of who I am, and have made peace with it. But man I hope I get a dishwasher for Christmas!

4 Comments:

Blogger mommy zabs said...

i liket hat perspective that you are taking a role in history! Very cool.

11:37 AM

 
Blogger GJ said...

I run my dishwasher at least 3 times a week - and there's only two of us!! Of course, my husband likes to get a new glass with each SWALLOW. Here's hoping you get a dishwasher!!

2:27 PM

 
Blogger andrea said...

really like this photo... like how you are in the frame but your hands (and luxie) are the focus... don't know how you've done it all these years (that was a tough three years for me on montgomery street, no dishwasher)... but I applaud you for the perspective you've given here.

8:28 PM

 
Blogger meridith said...

oh girl i feel you. i have had no dishwasher for the past year and it is such a pain. many weeks i just let the dishes sit and do them all on saturday. i HATE it with a capital H. and....there's only one of me. so i am feeling your pain in a major way. i have friends who love washing dishes and find it soothing.....to them i say.....whatever!!

i do love this photo and even more i really love your perspective here. it could be worse. we do live in a priveleged society.

but man i hope you get a dishwasher for christmas too!!

1:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home