...sugar and spice and everything nice...

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Hello!

Do you ever click thru the tv stations on the weekend and come across all the old movies they show over and over again and get a sort of sick feeling in your stomach? And then somehow for some reason you kinda start watching one of them because there isnt much else on and suddenly you think "It's not so bad." So you keep watching and end up sort of enjoying yourself?

Most Saturdays I come across one of these types of movies: "Father of the Bride," "Breakfast Club," "When Harry Met Sally," or "City Slickers." At first I quickly flip past it because I am disgusted having somehow managed to watch the film at least three or four times in the past 10 years. Then when I realize my choices are either golf, football, fishing, a rerun of "Real World" (which I dont usually watch anyway) or some home improvement show that isnt very well produced, I wind up back at that channel contemplating my options. Sometimes I tune into it for just a moment to see if I can take it. Everything depends on that first look. If I catch the "Breakfast Club-ers" doing that dance to the music they dont stand a chance. But if it's that poignant (yes, Im using the word) moment when Molly Ringwald climbs thru the ducts to Judd Nelson in the isolation room, I will keep it on. Same goes for "City Slickers." If they are doing some corny "we're unable to ride these crazy horses!" moment there's no way Im staying tuned. But if Billy Crystal is delving into one of his humorous dialogues about his life I just might pause and give it a chance.

I wonder if it has to do with believing you already know the story and then when you hit a moment you dont quite remember, or a moment you really loved, you are able to give it a chance. Either way, we are watching "Erin Brockovich" this evening...

1 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

"Do you ever click thru the tv stations on the weekend and come across all the old movies they show over and over again and get a sort of sick feeling in your stomach? And then somehow for some reason you kinda start watching one of them because there isnt much else on and suddenly you think "It's not so bad." So you keep watching and end up sort of enjoying yourself?"

YES. a while back, we, on a lazy sunday afternoon, caught the beginning of Mariah Carey's "Glitter". You know what--i t ended up being quite a good little sunday afternoon joint, in the vein of Purple Rain, and Krush Groove. you never expect pop music movies to be masterpieces, but most of them have been quite enjoyable, like reading a pulp novel.


j.

7:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home