...sugar and spice and everything nice...

Saturday, August 27, 2005

A few of my favorite things

There are some things that are like a little piece of heaven to me. Little things, nothing big, but they bring me such happiness. They take away the doldrum or regular life.

1. Macaroni and cheese. Really, I cant get enough of it. Since I was a child it has been a favorite food of mine, and there is nothing I enjoyed more than to make a box of macaroni and cheese, sit at the kitchen table, and read Nancy Drew on a hot summer day. My absolute favorite kind of macaroni and cheese, "Mission" brand, is no longer made, and I cant tell you how often I think back to those days when Mission macaroni flowed freely from our kitchen cabinets. Thinking back on that bright yellow box could almost bring a tear to my eye. Gone forever. I really havent found anything that compares. I like Kraft, although the moment you make it you have to eat it because it changes very quickly into a dry, sticky mess. There is a special consistency of milk mixed with cheese sauce that I just love, and I strive for that perfect blend every time. It is an art, really, yet so often I see people settling for whatever comes out in the mix. Not me. I love the stuff.

2. Getting a magazine in the mail. Oh how exciting! A big bulk of mostly useless information bound together for my reading pleasure! It's almost like a gift. All for me? Why thank you! When my InStyle magazine arrives each month I skim thru and notice the articles I really look forward to reading. Then during Luxie's nap I take my time turning page after page not missing a thing. Same thing with Relevant. I really enjoy that magazine, and specially mark each page that holds something interesting to me. I read those articles first, then go back and read thru page after page. It relaxes me to the point of almost falling asleep, and in fact sometimes I do. But not out of boredom, out of comfort.

3. Watching Luxie play outside. I cannot tell you what an amazing experience it has been watching my daughter play for hours outside in beautiful weather. I guess I hadnt really thought about it until we got here but back in Atlanta it just isnt the same. Even in the fall and spring the consistency of the air is different that what we are experiencing here. Im really regretting that we have to leave because it has become such a wonderful experience for me. Not one day of rain in the 10 days we have been here, not one mosquito, no humidity, it has been amazing. I realize the weather here isnt always so grand, but these gorgeous summer days will be sorely missed back home.

4. Getting my hair cut. I love to sit in that chair, have someone mess around with my hair for about an hour, and then leave feeling so good about my appearance. It is so worth the $50 and the meaningless conversation that takes place to come away from an experience so relaxed and feeling good. It's like a boost of self esteem, reminding me that I am more than a mom and I do deserve a little something just for me.

5. A professional massage. Sweetheart, your massages are great, but there is nothing quite like a professional massage done by someone you know will do a great job. If they made two hour massages I could afford, I'd be there. It is easily my most requested holiday gift. Although I only get one or two a year (too pricey for us) it is one of the things I look forward to the most. The girl I use is so great she even starts out saying "Dont worry about making conversation or talking, fall asleep if you want to, this is all about you relaxing and taking care of you." Yes! A nice, quiet massage therapist? Nothing better.

2 Comments:

Blogger mommy zabs said...

I'm with you for sure on 4 and 5....!!!! I love pampering things period. But it is also a rare occasion right now. Oh i could use a prenatal massage!!! Today I sat in bed with ice on my pain-ridden back.

8:12 PM

 
Blogger andrea said...

big seconds to #2, #4 and #5... I'm such a magazine junkie. I read my favorites from beginning to end and try very hard not to skim through or skip ahead (I find this very hard to do!)... man, I need a haircut so badly! I've been holding off for so long because I haven't been wanting to spend the $$$ but you have reminded me just how important it is... I'm calling to make an appt. today! and how can I thank you for recommending that massage therapist at natural body...? she is the best!

1:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home